Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Knitting: Kinder, Gentler Lingerie





I learned to knit when I was 5 years old. My father's cousins wife taught me because I was unhappy that I was "too young" to start school with the rest of the children in our small ranching community. After many years absence, partly due to a 4H leader who didn't understand left handed knitters, I returned to the pleasure of knitting. Socks, scarves, hats, all the regular things. Then I discovered a series of wonderful free patterns - the internet is an amazing source - and embarked on...lingerie knitting.
The Bra and  Tap Panty Ensemble available at http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATT1930.html are designed by Karen Stockton .

This summer I found two cones of all cotton yarn at a thrift shop. Super soft and pearly looking they are perfect for this kind of project.



The other completed project was a free pattern when I found it but it is now included in a book of patterns which are at a very reasonable price.  The French Lace Camisole pattern was easy to follow and a very satisfying "first try" at lace trim. You can find it with other all cotton projects at http://tahkistacycharles.com/t/pattern_books_single?products_id=169&pattern_id=174#pattern


It's amazing what can  be done with two sticks and a big piece of string!

Knitting can be creative, satisfying and it's a great survival skill. We won't be cold as long as we can get our hands on fiber and as to that we have further plans involving a Turkish drop spindle and the three weaving looms that some how have come to our home. Oh, and plans for a couple of Angora bunnies once we are settled in the new house.

What are you knitting today?


No comments:

Post a Comment